Sunday, September 22, 2019

The pretender: Fooling 3dmark SkyDiver to test your card

This is a quick post about a funny discovery I made when testing a GTX 460 I received second-hand.  I also received a GTX 550 knowing that it needed a GPU fan replaced, but, in a PC built from the usual modular pieces, I put in both cards just to see if the drivers would squawk about the SLI cable I affixed between them.  It did not, but it neither activated SLI.  I ran the Sky Diver benchmark and the GTX 460 completed.  Power off. I slapped on a fan to the GTX 550 which required removal of the GTX 460 due to the unsightly tape-fastened fan and it benched slower than the GTX 460. Power off. Swapped in GTX 460 in place of the GTX 550, and launched the benchmark.  But the benchmark stated I needed a capable video card.  It reported the GTX 460 as the video card installed in the system.  Power off.  Removed the ad-hoc fan from the GTX 550 and installed it in the slot neighboring the GTX 460.  Power on with both cards. Run benchmark.

My takeaway: you stand a chance of benching other DirectX 12 cards if 3dmark's Sky Diver detects you have at least one card capable of running the benchmark.  

This does make me wonder how awful a GT 630 performs on Sky Diver. The passmark video score for a GTX 460 is around 2,600 and the GT 630 - later generation but really tiny - was below 900.

No comments:

Post a Comment