Sunday, January 20, 2019

Epple, let's see!

If I happened to be in a cafe and if my ears latched on to any muttering of "Disk II," I suspect I would be unable to resist eavesdropping and attempting to penetrate the conversation.  I exhausted a tremendous portion of my childhood from 1986 until 1991, ensuring I could make a backup of every Apple II program I encountered.  Even the crappy ones like Shamus and Frogger.  I lacked any electrical theory foundation, lacked any oscopes or meters, and could barely program my own rudimentary Disk II machine code; there was no way I could create a 6&2 decoder, but fetching raw data wasn't impossible.

In a pursuit to reclaim my own fatiguing memory of the Disk II system and behavior of said games, I purchased (the absolutely fantastic) AppleSauce floppy drive controller.  


  • I refrain from using the designer's full name or storefront to avoid appearing on the first page of Internet search engines for would-be seekers of AppleSauce or other Disk II-ish topics.  As for AppleSauce, this isn't said enough: John thanks and thanks.


The AppleSauce controller has a continuously-developed software counterpart that smartly rips a flux image of the floppy media, and through its Disk Editor, permits exporting to the AppleSauce-driven WOZ1 and WOZ2 formats.  

Emulators are adopting mature WOZ support at an impressive rate.  The AppleSauce storefront details Apple II emulators with WOZ support, and like AppleSauce, many emulators continuously change.  Some need to be built from source.

I found that one emulator which does not require to be built, but does require OS X -- Gerard's fantastic work -- and sadly, for me, it does not work with the WOZ of Frogger captured by fouram.  I had a master Frogger disk in my former library, which worked on my enhanced //e back then. I get the impression it should work but the booted Frogger WOZ1 never gets too far beyond the Spiradisc banner before creating drive chatter.  If my memory serves me correctly, it should boot to window blind filled game screen.

I'm no stranger to building from source on Linux, but rarely have a I had to assemble all the aclocal, automake, and autoconf components.  

This post is an anchor to help preserve the steps (the right steps perhaps?) which resulted in a working Epple2 build.

  • Download and unzip xa65
  • Edit Makefile of xa65 to set DESTDIR = ~/
  • Run make
  • Run make install
  • export PATH=${PATH}:~/bin
  • Download and unzip epple2 (great work Christopher M!) 
  • Run aclocal
  • Touch config.h.in
  • Run automake --add-missing
  • Edit configure variable named ac_default_prefix=/usr/local to be =~/
  • Run ./configure
  • Run make
  • Run make install
  • Download and unzip Apple-II-Source (this produces applesoft.a65 and monitor.a65)
  • Run aclocal
  • mkdir build-aux
  • automake --add-missing
  • autoconf
  • Run automake --add-missing
  • Edit configure variable named ac_default_prefix=/usr/local to be =~/
  • Run make
  • Run make install

After these steps, epple2 booted after I kicked off emulation with F1.  Prior to addingapplesoft.a65 and monitor.a65, I would get a low-res screen of colors, which I thought meant something.  

I hope this wrte-up help saves time.

No comments:

Post a Comment