Sunday, August 5, 2018

(Cr)atching up on Cr blog progess

Chrome Update
Chrome is still on my radar.  Installing Chrome isn't as easy as installing Chromium.

My current selfish dependency for my Cr-install project is establishing bootable media with the sole purpose of installing Chrome.  Other's scripts and procedures for installing Chrome are already easily found on the Internet, and my own augmentation of that procedure will not require much work.  Creating a purpose built environment for deploying Chrome is taking much longer than expected.

My current choice is minimal linux.  It has been a long time since I've compiled a kernel from source.  The minimal linux environment is nicely organized and allows for modular invocation of failed steps.  I thank the author.  It takes months of work to organize and test a project like minimal linux.

My "goto" operating system for a personal laptop is Fedora.  I began with the kernel from Fedora 28 (kernel-devel).  I renamed the directory and bundled it up to be minimal linux compatible.  I ran in to issues with inline assembly and the includes for SElinux.  Too much floundering steered me to download the source for the same kernel release from kernel.org and to preserve the .config from Fedora 28.  minimal linux was engineered with support for this scenario!  

Last weekend I made it to the point where the kernel now compiles without errors, but the generated ISO lacks the correct glibc (I believe) as busybox cannot launch.  

This Post's Tip for the Day
The way I made sure inline assembly was supported was to launch the build script with
CC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO /build_minimal_linux_live.sh

That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment