Saturday, June 23, 2018

ASUS X200LA runs terra (Chrome OS for the ASUS C202SA)

A few weeks ago I loaded an image of both terra and kip on to my ASUS X200LA.  Aside from a "behind the scenes" action requiring a keypress to boot, terra and kip boot nicely. I picked terra specifically under the hope that ASUS uses the media key mappings in their spins of Chrome OS.

terra has Google Play; which is one of my requirements to make a Chromebook useful. 

The X200LA has a 100Mb Realtek, which is okay for testing out builds for different Chromebook hardware. All of the editions I've staged (peppy, kip, terra, glimmer, squawks and ultima) have the r8169 driver, but for the Chromebook to be useful for anyone else, it must have working wireless.

terra has a tolerable function key map and since it has Google Play support working out of the box, I sought to figure out how I could roll in wireless without rebuilding the kernel.  I left kip on /dev/sda5 as I have no need to mess with it right now.

I postulated searching the big mass of recovery images for a build having the exact same kernel and the right wireless module, but it was easier to spend $22 on a mini PCIe Intel AC 7260.  This model corrects for the AR9485 lacking 5Ghz A and AC.  My residential district is oppressed with a "TroposNetworks" SSID and eats up three B/G channels, so 5Ghz is the only cost effective way.  The X200LA has a i3-4010u, and plenty of zip for a Chromebook.

About two years ago I replaced the 500GB laptop drive in the X200LA with a Crucial 128GB SSD, and I already had working knowledge of loosing the external screws and spudging the bottom case open.   Getting accessto the wireless card, once inside, was easy.  Replacing the wireless adapter only involved removing a single retention screw and carefully popping off the wifi/bluetooth antenna connectors.  Assembly is that same process, in reverse. 

I captured screenshots of the old adapter, new adapter installed, terra's lack of wireless with the AR9485 and also screenshots of a working wireless menu with the Intel 7260 and I plan on integrating them with this post, later.

Everything works except:

1. youtube video in Chrome
2. casting to my Miracast endpoints.  I'll use the Android YouTube app for now.
3. HDMI output (hasn't been tested)
4. XBOX One controller causes it to reboot (PS3 SixAxis works fine as /dev/js0)
5. G-sensor / accelerometer

This is the function key map:
F1 -> back
F2 -> forward
F3 -> refresh
F4 -> mlaptopzaximize
F5 -> app switcher
F6 -> dim LCD
F7 -> brighten LCD
F8 -> mute
F9 -> lower volume
F10 -> raise volume
F11 -> maximize
F12 -> F12

No comments:

Post a Comment